Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No longer the Fabulous Miss O...

Introducing the Fabulous Miss A

Alexandria Olga Pirkey
But you can call her Alex  :)

Our court date is over!  It was slightly nerve wracking but we all survived and our petition to adopt Olga and change her name was granted.  Of course the prosecutor didn't show up at 2:00 when our appointment was.  The judge started without him and asked 45 minutes worth of questions in the attempt to stall hoping the prosecutor would eventually show up!  Finally we were dismissed to the hallway to wait for the prosecutor.  He came a few minutes later and we all filed back into the room.  The judge asked if anyone objected to our petition and the prosecutor stood up and said, "Nyet".  We were then all dismissed again for deliberation.  That took appoximately two minutes.  We all filed back into the room and went through the formalities.  Just like that Olga's name was changed and we are her parents!  :)  Now the mandatory 10 (14) day wait begins.  Without paperwork issues I should be able to take custody of Alex on March 1.

The three of us with the judge


The hardest part of court was watching Alex tear up when the orphanage attorney talked about how she was abandoned at the hospital, parental rights were terminated and how not a single soul had visited her for her entire life.  No punches were pulled.  It was made clear that no one has ever cared about the welfare of our girl before us.  She has been well cared for in the orphanage.  But I think we all know that isn't the same thing. 

That chapter in her life is closed, but there is nothing I can do to make her forget it.  All we can do now is move forward and love her like there is no tomorrow. 












9 comments:

  1. YEAAA!!! So happy for you guys. The prosecutor showed up late for us too though not that bad.

    I'm sorry that was so hard for A listening to that... but it is really important and the attorney is being very helpful making sure there is no doubt with the court that this is the best for her.

    With D it was about his medical condition, how they can't help him much but we can (and have), and that his grandma comes to visit & calls his sister but not him.

    When we were there the judge was in a really good mood and smiled/joked a few times... could just be cause it was the Eve of their biggest holiday though. I decided if we end up at Lutugino again I'm shaving my head :) I actually normally keep it essentially shaved but let it grow out as I wasn't sure how that would be taken in Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A GREAT BIG CONGRATULATIONS to all of you! That is sad that she had to face all that being said in such a way. You are right, this chapter in her life is over and a new one has begun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the judge ran out of questions to ask us he was joking a little bit and asking casual questions about our trip to Ukraine.

    I knew they would talk about Alex' past and how she ended up in the orphanage, but it broke my heart to see her listening to the harsh reality of it. The attorney was definitely on our side and was promoting the adoption.

    Two more weeks and I can get my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAAAAAY! Congratulations to your family, and hooray for Alex! I love her new name!
    I teared up at the same part you mentioned when they said "No one has ever cared..." and I teared up again reading it through your story. I'm sure those lines will forever stick in my head. So glad we found these Ukie Cuties.
    HOORAY for a new beginning! Cant wait for America to grow by one more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Congratulations! And I like the name! I was born in a town called Alexandria, and we considered it as a name for Sister. Praying for smooth sailing from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I understand that it is important for the court record to show that no one in Ukraine had any interest in this child but it is so degrading and sad for each one of these children to once again have the reality they have lived replayed and the fact that they are 'nothing to anyone' reinforced. I felt that same sadness, it broke my heart to see Viktor's face harden and watch him look away from me as they read that in court.

    Again, congratulations! She is a beautiful girl and I pray your transition is as smooth and stress free as ours is.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wish they would pull the kids out of the room for that part of the evidence.

    I love her new name and I will share more about it in another blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!!! It is sad that she had to hear it and hopefully she will not be harmed by the harshness but grateful for all the love she now has in her life! We will pray for a smooth transition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Excited this part of it is over. Huge sigh of relief. Praying the wait goes quickly.

    ReplyDelete