Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 25

Poor Alex.  I wasn't much fun today.  I had no appetite this morning, therefore I did not eat.  By the time I got to her school at noon I was pretty miserable with my breathing situation.  Or, rather, lack thereof.  She was okay with my zombie-esque demeanor as she had my computer and was happily downloading music from Violetta's Mp3 player.  Then around 1:00 I decided to dig deep within my "day" bag to see if by some miracle of miracles there were any drugs in there.  Cue the heavenly angels singing: one leftover cold table from when Jeff was here and got sick.  (Wait a minute!  By golly I think I have figured out what happened to me!)  I popped that pill down my throat faster than I could sneeze.  Within 30 minutes I could breathe again.  And apparently breathing combined with meds on an empty stomach makes for a very queasy afternoon.  Thankfully Alex had some work she needed to do for about an hour so she wasn't subjected to my goo-like appearance from 2:00-3:00.  By the time she got back at 3:00 I'm pretty sure she started counting down the minutes until I had to peel myself off the sofa and scoot out the door at 4:00.  She didn't even walk me to the front door!

Tomorrow is Men's Day so I am supposed to take Alex to the store to buy food for her class.  I am happy to do it.  Secretly I am hoping that her teachers will stop hating me for taking their star student.  Can't wait to see what the celebrations include.  I had been hoping that Alex and the rest of the dance team would do a performance, but she broke it to me today that they were told they wouldn't be.  Bummer.

I reminded Alex today that I would be able to pick her up a week from today.  I asked her if she was excited.  I got a very non-enthusiastic "yes".  Then I asked her if she was sad.  Same non-enthusiastic "yes".  Finally I asked if she would like one extra day and I got a "no".  It's so hard to be excited when you are so sad, and so hard to be sad when you are so excited.  The anticipation of next week must be very difficult for her.  Seven more days.  What do you think the odds are that the emotional roller coaster will end for her the minute I pick her up?

By the way, I asked about having a space heater in her room.  Apparently that just blows the circuit.  Nice.  I also asked about blankets.  She said not to worry about it as they can just take the blankets they use to keep warm in their classroom to their dorms at night.  Yes.  You read that right.

Seven more nights.





    

5 comments:

  1. Make sure to get more of those meds :) We'll keep praying for you guys. Last night Dennis started praying out loud with us... it's just a list of names with a few he says he wants to come to America -- you can guess who tops that list, but "Olga" is a close second probably cause we talk about her so much and read the blog together when there are pictures.

    Too bad on the heating situation. Kind of odd as every place is so warm there. I had thought just leaving the door open would make it nice and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7 more nights... the end is in sight. Praying that her grand finale goes smoothly. I was very shocked at the lack of emotions Alina showed... I expected quite the dramatic exit, and was dreading it. Hopefully Alex will only see her bright future ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brian~ That is really sweet that D prays for Alex/Olga. Sorry I haven't posted photos lately. I'm hoping tomorrow I will be able to snap a few. As far as the cold rooms go, it's just those two. The rest of the girls dormitory is fine. A said once under the covers they are warm enough. It's just daily living, getting out of bed in the mornings and getting dressed that are hard.

    @B.....~ It's a crap shoot at this point as to what her reaction upon leaving is going to be. It will help her that I agreed to let her see her boyfriend in Lugans'k before we leave the region. (Oops...did I just write that?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!! I dont guess I realized she has a boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, she has a boyfriend which I knew about long before she told me he was her boyfriend. Too many stars in her eyes when she would talk about her "just friend" Roma. The kicker here is that I really, really like this boy a lot. He is brokenhearted about her leaving, but has never discouraged her from coming. He knows this is the right thing for her. That says so much to me about his character.

    ReplyDelete