Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 21

Had a good visit with Miss A today.  There was an assembly at school today to honor veterans.  All of the kids had to wear their school uniform which consisted of black pants/white shirts for the boys and black skirts/white shirts for the girls.  They all looked very sharp in their uniforms.  Alex wasn't part of the assembly so we sat together on the back row to watch.  I have no clue what was said, but A assured me it was boring.  :)

Today I also got to watch Alex in her PE class.  It usually smells like a giant, well used sweat sock in the gym!  But today it was so cold in there I didn't notice any smell.  That class is like a free-for-all.  There doesn't seem to be an organized activity for the entire class.  Some kids worked on tumbling, some sat around and talked and some played a Ukrainian version of "H-O-R-S-E" with the coach.  (Man o man does Alex suck at basketball!)  What adds to the confusion (for me, anyway) is that all the kids kick off their shoes before entering the gym.  So some are in just socks and others put on house slippers.  To play basketball!  

Alex is very excited about school next week as they have various competitions and events planned.  February 23 is "Mens Day".  I could compare it to Father's Day except that it is to celebrate all men and boys, not just dads.  Alex said that each class will do something special for the boys and male teachers.  I am finding myself very happy that there are only four boys in her class as she asked if I could purchase something (supplies maybe?) for the event.  She hasn't told me exactly what she needs me to get yet.  Next week should be a fun one to be at the school and see everything going on.

Alex asked me to put her cell phone in my bag today to hold onto.  I, of course, forgot to give it back to her.  And in turn, she forgot to ask for it back!  I have sent text messages to two of her friends but I haven't heard from her so I'm not sure it she has gotten the messages.  Hopefully she isn't panicking that the phone is lost!  Oh well.  She'll get it back tomorrow around noon.

The puppies from yesterday's adventure are still enjoying the food that Kelly brought for them.  When we drove by today they were all in a circle with their noses to the ground eating out of the bag.  Yes, I know we littered.  Yes, it was worth it.  :)

Only 11 days left in the 10 day waiting period.  :)  I think the next week is going to fly by!  I am really enjoying being here.  I miss R&M, of course, but I am really glad to be here right now.  I am so glad to have seen where my girl has been for so long.  To meet her friends has been simply wonderful.  These kids are really, truly amazing.  I am a little afraid that I will be crying harder than Alex when it is time to pick her up and say goodbye to everyone.  This trip has been a true blessing.

S~


    

2 comments: