Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 26 - Men's Day Celebration

Today was a really fun day for me to be at the school.  The much anticipated "Men's Day" arrived and each class celebrated in their classroom.  In Alex' class there are six (soon to be five) girls and four boys.  While the boys played table tennis the girls put together quite a spread!  They made a really good cold soup and several egg/potato/ham salads and a few other items.  I got to take Alex and her BFF Violetta to the nearby supermarket for other needed items like salami, cheese, crackers, soda, etc...  That store didn't have everything we needed so while the girls went to dance class I walked down to the newer, bigger supermarket to finish shopping.  The boys were not allowed into the classroom while preparations were being made.  Once they were allowed in they started off the party with a few fun, silly games and a little dancing.  My favorite game was when the blindfolded boys tried to spoon feed yogurt to the girls.  Very cute.  For the dancing all of the boys tried to hide!  And the girls were feeling embarrassed as well.  The girls presented each boy and their male teacher with gifts and a little speech about why the boy was special.  I think.  I believe all the kids had a good time and it was a pleasure to be there.  It was really nice to be invited into the classroom and see all of the kids in that kind of environment.

There is a boy in Alex' class that she had always said was sooooo funny.  The first chance I had to observe him he kinda came off as a bit of a bully to a younger kid and perhaps a little cocky in general.  Nothing happened, but the younger boy did look a little scared.  Of course, I have no idea what was said, but I just assumed it wasn't good.  Over the past few weeks I haven't noticed that side of him.  In fact, he has even smiled at me in passing a few times.  Today when I was in the hallway he walked by and very loudly said, "Hi, Susan"!  It really surprised me.  While we were in the classroom this evening I was watching this boy play guitar when it seemed no one else was really paying attention.  He looked up and saw me watching and got a little embarrassed and quickly looked away.  Hmmm...not such a tough guy after all.  He has really grown on me and I have added him to my pretend list of kids I would like to squish up and hide in my luggage on the way back home.

Here are just a few photos from today:

The spread

Blindfolded boys feeding yogurt to the girls  :)

Me & my girl!

1 comment: