Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 14

Another good day with our girl.  She had dance class at 3:00 so we left then instead of our usual 4:00.  It sounds like she is getting a bit of a cold or perhaps even a sinus infection.  I pray it's just a cold as sometimes they send the kids off to the hospital for minor things because they don't want it spreading throughout the school.

Another family from GA arrived this morning to adopt a boy from O's school.  This boy is only 11 so O only knows him by sight.  The "new" family, the Merritts, Jeff and I along with our facilitator met up for dinner.  We go to the same pizza place several times a week and usually have the same server.  I think he is getting used to the crazy Americans.

This morning we met the Merritts for coffee before going to the school at another one of our "regular" places.  This was the first time going in without our translator.  We had the same server we always have and it turns out she actually speaks a bit of English.  She seemed happy to be able to practice using it with us.  She had never tried before because our facilitator/translator has always been with us.  In Kyiv we met several people who knew a little English, but here in Lugans'k it is not common at all.  The few words I know in Russian usually draw giggles or eye rolls when I use them.

It is supposed to snow all day tomorrow with it turning into heavy snow by tomorrow evening.  So far the weather here has not been bad at all.  Or perhaps I was just expecting it to be so much worse than I should have.  Or, maybe it's the fact that I wear heavy boots, two pairs of socks, long underwear under my jeans, two long sleeved shirts under my fleece or sweater, a down coat, heavy gloves, scarf and hat.

We have court in four itty bitty days!  Since we have already been grilled by the Inspector, Assistant Director and Director about why we want to adopt O it would be nice if the Judge would take it easy on us.  I'm not holding my breath.  It is a very important day, and I know that the judge would be remiss in his duties if he didn't question us and our motives thoroughly.

One of these days I will actually take a few great photos to share.  Today isn't that day!  Enjoy the one and only photo I have for the day (and a blurry photo at that!) and hopefully I will get on the ball tomorrow!

We told O we needed to take a picture of her for her new passport.  She made sure to fix her hair, put on a bit of makeup and get dolled up in a cute skirt & top for the grand event.  Silly girl!  It was a head and shoulder shot and she wasn't even allowed to smile for it!  But, she did look awfully cute!  Here she is playing on my laptop.
  

  

5 comments:

  1. Tick tock tick tock... the days are going by quickly! Court is almost here... er.. there.
    She looks so pretty all dolled up.
    We also had the same server often, but we never had a translator come with us to a restaurant. One guy in Odessa that we had 4+ times said he loved having the opportunity to practice his english. I always tried to speak Russian and often they would reply in english if they could... i guess I made a fool of myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our facilitator/translator is actually staying with the other family we are here with so we are always with him for dinner. This morning he took the "new" family to the school so he couldn't join us for breakfast. Jeff and I have actually gone to breakfast/lunch on our own a few times and managed to do okay. Olga usually makes fun of my pronunciation of Russian words, so I am very nervous to even try. I have spasiba, skoka, privyet, dosvidanya, dah and nyet down! Those are the important ones, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOO HOO! :) Can't wait for that big day! You will feel so much better after that, trust me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and it's skolka for "how much" don't forget the "L"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was just me misspelling it! Not that I spelled *any* of the words correctly, but you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete