Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 30 - Lazy Sunday

I only went to visit with Alex for about an hour or so today, but it was a really good visit.  She was in a real funk yesterday and for the almost four hours I was at her school I only saw her about 1/2 that time.  I knew something was wrong the first moment I saw her yesterday, but all she would say was that she was having a bad day.  I was relieved that she was doing better today.  Her room is still an ice box.  A teacher came in and was joking around about how we all looked like we were smoking because we could see our breath.  Ummm...not funny?

I went to the supermarket this morning to pick up goodies for my girl.  She had called me Friday night and asked that I only bring apples for Saturday because she was sick to her stomach from eating all the food I brought on Friday.  Friday's food was: a sandwich, bag of chips, cheese, apples, juice and Snickers.  Apparently she ate it all after she had eaten dinner!  No wonder she was sick to her stomach!  So I only brought apples yesterday, as requested, and she looked surprised that I have listened.  And a little disappointed.  :)  So today I brought apples, a bag of snack sized Snickers, a small package of cookies, apple juice and a bag of M&M's for Alex and each of her roommates.  Her roommates faces lit up when I handed them the candy.  And I got "Thank You's" in english, to boot!  Such sweet girls.

After my trip to the supermarket I waited a few minutes until the mall opened so I could run into City Cafe for my Cappuccino and chicken sandwich.  I had a new server today and Oh. My. Goodness.  Does that girl make a bitter cup of coffee!  But, I hadn't had coffee in about four days and I was quite frankly desperate.

Toward the end of my visit with Alex she asked me if she could ask me something.  And then she got all giggly and had a hard time looking me in the eyes because she was embarrassed to ask her question.  Then she pulled on my arm to get me to bend down to where she was sitting on the bed so she could whisper the question in my ear.  I just burst out laughing.  Yes, there were four other people in the room, but NONE of them spoke english!  Finally she asked me for money.  How much and what for, I ask.  (Reasonable questions in my opinion)  More giggles.  Big sigh from me.  She told me she owed a girl 15 greeva (about $2) and then she and Violetta wanted to buy something, but wouldn't tell me what.  I ask if the "something" is something I would approve of and she assured me it wasn't anything bad.  Okay, I asked again how much?  More giggles.  Another big sigh from me.  So then I just start throwing out numbers: 50 greevna?  100 greevna?  She said 100 greevna was too much, so I handed her 15 greevna for "the girl" and 80 greevna ($10) for her and Violetta.  She seemed happy with that.

And now I sit in my apartment typing my post and trying to decide if reading my book or taking a nap should be the next thing on my agenda.  Decisions, decisions.  This is most likely my last lazy Sunday for a long, long time, so I'm thinking a few chapters of my book followed by a nice nap.  Hey!  Look at me being decisive!  :)

Have a Happy Sunday, everyone!

 

4 comments:

  1. OK now I am dying to know what she buys with the money she asked for-maybe a gift for her new mommy!!
    I am enjoying this blog so much-will miss it when all is done and Alex is home with you. I sure hope you continue to write about her in America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nap is on the agenda here today, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned that when Alex asks for money it is usually not for herself but for someone else. One time it was to pay back one of her teachers who had purchased a gift for Alex to give to one of her friends. Another time it was so Violetta could add minutes to her phone. Another time it was to give her boyfriend bus fare (which he wouldn't take). I'm sure I'll find out eventually what the money was for. I do plan to continue to write after Alex and I come home.

    The nap was nice, but now I have ants in my pants! I can't seem to sit still. Enjoy your napping agenda, McEacherns! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun day! S did that to me ... asked for money ... but she wanted to buy minutes for her phone, so instead I told her I would bring her minutes tomorrow (she hadn't been taking my phone calls when I wasn't on campus). I also want to know what she buys!! :)

    ReplyDelete