Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tomorrow is the big day!

Alex is registered for school and she starts tomorrow.  We took a tour of the school today and I realized it is even bigger than I had originally thought.  Our 'tour guide" was a 7th grader from Russia.  A is *very* nervous (read: scared) and I'm a little nervous for her.  In her school in Ukraine there were 155 students in 9 grades.  She had ten students in her class and that was including her!  There are over 1200 students in three grades at her new school.  The gymnasium alone is bigger than one floor of her old school.  They didn't have her schedule in the computer as of this morning so we have no idea what her days will look like for the rest of the school year.  I will drive her in tomorrow morning so she can get her class schedule, but I am hoping to get her comfortable with the bus schedule ASAP.  Big changes are in store for the Fabulous Miss A.

All in all I think things are going well.  Life will change in a huge way tomorrow, but hopefully she can find her groove, make new friends and start enjoying her new life as a United States citizen.  She was able to become Facebook friends with a girl from her school in Ukraine that had been adopted by a Spanish family a few years ago.  She has been able to call her two of her friends in Ukraine a few times which I think has helped with missing them so much.

I know I have been remiss in getting photos posted and I will fix that pronto!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Not sure if she knows Rita who was adopted by an American family last summer. S did. Melissa has the contact info for the family if you think she might be interested in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first day was so hard for me to drop AG off at school. Granted, the age difference is huge, but I think I was more worried than she was. It just seemed like a big sea for such a little fish who didnt speak the language.
    But in the end, she loved it. I pray Miss A will too. Soon, her english will be perfect and she'll have friends- and school will be what it is to every other teenager, an inconvienient disruption of their social gathering time.
    What grade will she be in? Is she interested in any spring sports or is she going to take it slow?
    Hoping for the best for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian~ We do have R's contact info. A isn't ready to make contact yet, though. Lots of emotions she is trying to work through. She misses her friends V&R very much and she just isn't ready to reach out to anyone else yet.

    BN~ A will be in 8th grade. She is taking a dance class, but it's not exactly what she wants. It's tough coming in so late in the school year. Our dance studio runs off the same schedule as our school, so she will have to wait until August to start whatever class she wants to take. I think after she gets adjusted to school the hardest thing for her will be the fact that she can't have a cell phone or mp3 player with her in class!

    ReplyDelete