Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Getting into the groove.

Alex and I are both still trying to adjust to jet lag.  She seems to be getting better, I seem to be getting worse.  Hopefully over the next few days things will even out and we will both be on East Coast time.

Alex asked last night if we could go for a run this morning.  I hadn't run in 6+ weeks, and she hadn't run in 6+ months.  We are different style runners.  I am very slow, but I can run for a long time.  She sprints, but for short distances.  We went out this morning for a run, made it 1.6 miles and then she got frustrated because it was hard and wouldn't run anymore.  So we walked the 1.6 miles back home.  She seems to think she can just jump right back into it without missing a beat.  I had to talk to her about the fact that there are a lot of really big hills in our neighborhood where she is used to running around the flat school soccer fields in Ukraine.  Hopefully she is willing to give it another try.  Next time I won't get so far away from home and I will remind her to slow down a bit.  I will also get her added to our gym membership this week.  I think she would really enjoy the different equipment there.

Last night she started her new dance class.  She said she liked it, so hopefully she will be happy there.  There is only three more months of class before summer break, then she can choose a different class for the fall if she would like.

I am going to take Alex clothes shopping today and try to get through the school registration paperwork.  I am hoping to get her started in school toward the middle of next week.  That should give her plenty of time to adjust without giving her too much time to get used to not going to school.  She has already been out for a week, so I don't want to wait too long to enroll her.

And, of course, she now has a Facebook account.  I helped her send out friend requests to family and friends from church/neighborhood.  We will keep a close eye on her account and we have given her the warnings about not accepting friend requests if she doesn't actually know the person.

It is still an adjustment to realize that we are actually home.  I am very glad to be home, but at the same time, I really miss Ukraine.  We told Alex we would try to go back to visit the summer of 2012 but I honestly don't know if *I* can wait that long!  

3 comments:

  1. Praying you get adjusted to East Coast time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad youre home! I pray you get on our time quickly :)
    I miss Ukraine a lot. Alina Grace keeps saying we'll go when she's 11, but Im ready to go now. I wonder if I would like it as much if I hadnt been in a city? Nonetheless, it was great and I cant wait to go see it again.
    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete