Wednesday, August 18, 2010

And so it begins...

For five weeks this summer my family had the privilege of hosting a 15 year old girl from Eastern Europe.  Her name is Olga, and we knew from Day 1 that this girl was a part of this family.  Making the decision to adopt her was a no-brainer.  Now we must navigate our way through the paperwork.  I know that on the other side of this my daughter is waiting.  She is counting on us to bring her home.  And home she shall be with God's blessing, a little time and a lot of paperwork!

We have already hit a few bumps at the beginning of this journey, but I believe we are on the right path now.  The adoption agency we originally selected was absolutely wonderful, but they did not use the in country facilitator that we were required to use.  (We didn't realize that we were required to use a specific facilitator!)  After a few weeks, some frantic e-mails/phone calls and a lot of prayer we selected another agency and I began to RE-fill out all of the paperwork that I had already completed for agency 1!  So, here we are, back at square one but very ready to move forward.  There is a lot to do in the coming months and I am so excited to be on this journey.

Our biological children already consider Olga their sister.  They pray for her daily and ask when we will be able to adopt her.  They love her and miss her very much.

International adoptions can take many months, or in some cases, years.  I do not know how long it will take to complete this adoption, but I am happy to say that Olga will be able to come back for four weeks over Christmas on another hosting trip!  

For more information on hosting orphans from Eastern Europe, please visit: New Horizons for Children



No comments:

Post a Comment