Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 3-SDA Appointment

Our appointment went well and it was very fast.  There was only one page to Olga’s “file” so there really wasn’t much to cover.  Jeff will go to the US Embassy tomorrow to fill out some paperwork since he won’t be coming back here after the 10 day waiting period.  We can pick up our referral tomorrow and then we will go to the airport for an evening flight.  
We spent the day with our friends yesterday and they showed us several places they had found to eat that they liked.  The “famous” cafeteria that any adoptive family should make it a point to find and a great little coffee place called Double Coffee.  Double Coffee has menus with English with pictures making it much easier to figure out what you want.  It’s a little more expensive, but for a really good cup of coffee it’s worth it!
I managed to do two incredibly stupid things yesterday.  The first was that I misplaced my money belt which also included my passport.  After tearing the apartment apart I finally found it.  I think I must have set in down on top of my suitcase and then at some point got into the suitcase and the money belt fell behind it.  I was terrified that I had somehow lost it at some point during the day and I was truly panicked.  After I realized I was starting to hyperventilate I sat down and prayed for God to calm my heart and that even if I had lost the money belt that somehow I would get my passport back.  As soon as I said “Amen” and opened my eyes I looked at my suitcase and pulled it away from the wall and...there it was!  
Stupid thing #2:  This one is actually pretty funny, and no harm was done so it is so easy to laugh at.  I figured out how to use the washing machine in our apartment and chose the 60° button for the water temperature so the load would be washed in cold water.  When the cycle was finished I went to get the clothes out so I could hang them to dry.  The washing machine door was *so* hot.  I couldn’t figure it out.  Finally I realized I had set it for 60° *Celsius*!  I had washed the load in the hottest water I possibly could have.    I never claimed to be the sharpest crayon in the box, did I?
Our apartment has controlled heat, meaning we have no way to turn the thermostat down.  It must be about 80°F in here.  We keep the doors to the balcony open to regulate the temperature.  We are on the 5th floor and we always take the stairs b/c the elevator shaft is...well...really, really old.  And scary.  Our shower has no curtain, so there is always a lot of water on the floor to clean up.  And there really isn’t warm water.  It’s either icy cold or almost scalding hot.  Which is fine because there is very little water pressure.  I would much rather have a trickle of super hot water for my shower than a blast of cold!  We are in a good location and within walking distance of restaurants and shopping.  It is really a beautiful area, especially at night because they still have up all of their Christmas lights.
Neither Jeff nor I took naps yesterday which I think helped us with getting a good nights sleep last night.  That, and some Tylenol PM.  :)  I slept from around 11:00 to 9:00 this morning.  I feel like a human being again!  We are just hanging around the apartment for the afternoon and will venture out again this evening.  
Thanks for checking in!
S~

2 comments:

  1. We read on another blog (Scott and Pam Libby) about a new law that requires children of a certain age to sign off on their Ukrainian citizenship, and it requires both parents. Make sure you ask your facilitator about that before Jeff leaves the country!

    Give Pizza Celantano a try. Potato al forno... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had actually read that on the Libby's blog as well before we came to Ukraine. Our facilitator said she would take care of it...whatever that means. :)

    ReplyDelete