Saturday, January 29, 2011

Quick Post from Kyiv

We arrived in Kyiv without issue.  Got set up in our appartment, called some friends who are in Kyiv and met them for dinner.  Dinner was at the food court in the underground mall and I was very proud of the fact that we didn't eat at McDonalds.  :)  Dinner was unusual to say the least as I just pointed at a couple of different things and nodded.  I thought I was getting diced potatoes and a pork pot sticker-esque dumpling.  I ended up with diced potatoes and pot stickers stuffed with....beets.  And I can't beleive I am saying this as I am not usually a big fan of beets, but they were good!  Of course, the company was way better than the food and I am looking forward to hanging out with our friends tomorrow before they leave to go to the region our kids are in.

Tomorrow is a day to just hang out and see Kyiv.  It is so beautiful here!  I didn't take a single picture today but will do better tomorrow.  Monday is our appointment, Tuesday is when we can pick up our referral and Wednesday is the day we get to see our girl.  :)

The only down thing that happened today was that our facilitator was going to get my computer set up with the air card.  He saw I had a Mac and quickly asked if we had another computer.  Jeff has his, but will be taking it home with him after our court appointment.  Not sure what I'm going to do about a computer after that point, but we'll figure it out!  In the grande scheme of things, not having a computer isn't a big deal.

Time for bed!  Willl post again soon.
S~

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are well and made it safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeaaa! Dinner in Kiev...with friends, even better! Is there a ton of snow there now? Where is your apartment? See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a MacOS X box I assume. I'd be surprised if there are not drivers for it... I had it working on my Linux box. It is a "ZTE" card. You have to enter in a bogus username/password for it (I found it on the internet) in the device config but I would think it would work. Did you try it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOO HOO! I don't think you asked me about having a MAC??!! :) I would have died of bordem in Lugansk if I didn't have my computer and air card during the 10-day waiting period - I had to refill the card twice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Air card for the Mac works fine. We told Alexy we got it to work and he was surprised. How much money did you end up putting on the air card altogether, Melissa?

    Melanie, the apartment is up the hill from the underground mall. Not far from a Double Coffee and just a few minutes walk to all the shopping and food court. We had very light snow this morning but nothing accumulative.

    ReplyDelete