Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Start" of Day 2

Last night was pretty rough sleep wise.  We didn’t really sleep on the flights so after we met our friends for dinner last night we were pretty wiped out.  Went to bed shortly after 10:00.  Woke up at 1:00.  Finally around 2:00 we both gave up the tossing and turning and I pulled out my Sudoku book and Jeff tried to find a book on Kindle that he wanted to read.  Around 3:00 we decided to watch one of the shows that we had downloaded.  Finally around 4:00 we tried the whole sleep thing again.  I have no idea what time it was before we both finally fell asleep, but we managed to drag ourselves out of bed before 10:00 this morning.  Hopefully tonight will be better.
We did manage to not fall for a con last night.  Long story, but looking back on it makes me realize how much we stand out as Americans.  And the funny thing is, when Jeff went back out for coffee this morning, in broad daylight, someone else tried the same con on him.  
Good news on the computer front.  Jeff figured out how to make the air card work on my Mac, so after he goes back home I am good to go!
I will post pictures soon.  
S~

6 comments:

  1. Try taking one Tylenol PM before bed and another when you wake up in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, glad to hear you got the card working. If they have an extra while you are there it isn't a bad idea to keep both. Between the cards stopping working due to config corruption and running out of money it was helpful to have the other even when it was just Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see... it should be about 5a right now. Pretty soon you'll give up trying to get to sleep after waking up every hour since 1a and get on the computer :) Hope you brought some Ambien.

    That extra day before the app't to just chill after the flight was important. Still zombies but better rested and fed zombies.

    I feel for you guys. I am the worst person to adjust to timezones... it takes me 2wks. After the 1st week I'm on the new schedule but don't feel right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have to know what "con" you're talking about ... the only one we got as the Santa and other costumed creatures sucking me in for 500 grivna worth of photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and did you bring sleeping pills with you? We had to use them almost the entire trip in Ukraine ... time clock off so badly and nights with little or no sleep we would have been non-functional without them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took 2 Tylenol PM before bed last night around 10:00, fell asleep before 11:00 and slept until the alarm went off at 9:15 this morning. :) I do have Ambien, but I took one just before our flight from Atlanta to Amsterdam and it did nothing for me. We didn't take naps at all yesterday so that may have helped with a solid nights sleep last night.

    As for the con...a man passed us on our walk back to our apartment on our first night here. He dropped something and Jeff called out to him. He stopped and came back for what was supposed to be a wad of money wrapped up in plastic. He thanked us, in English, for telling him. He then "realized" he must have dropped 2 packets and wondered if we had seen the other packet of money. During all of this another man passed us. I started to walk on and got maybe 15 feet away when I realized the second man had stopped about 25 feet ahead. I kept looking back at Jeff who was carrying on a conversation with man 1 and then back to man 2. Jeff and I both knew something wasn't right. I walked back to Jeff and man 1 and then man 2 was right behind me and flipping open his "badge". Jeff and I literally just walked away without saying a word. The scam would have either been that we had to bribe the "cop" to get out of trouble, or man 1 would have accused us of stealing his money and the "cop" would have made us pull out our money to prove we didn't have man 1's. You can guess how confusing that would have been.

    Day 2 I saw the "characters" on the main street that was closed off to traffic. Jeff pulled out his camera to take pictures and one of the characters ran over to us speaking Spanish. I just put up my hand, said "Nyet" and walked away.

    ReplyDelete