Monday, November 15, 2010

Got to speak with Olga

We were able to speak with Olga again.  She sounds really good.  She has received the package that I sent with a sweater and two pair of funky socks which I was relieved to hear.  When I asked her if there was anything she needed she became very quiet and said, "Yes, Mama, I do need something.  I need lip gloss." We all laughed and I promised her I would run out to Bath and Body Works to get her favorite lip gloss.  Then she said, "And I need to ask for something else, and it is very serious.  Can you send me sneakers?"  My heart sank because I really don't think I can send her sneakers.  On larger packages the recipient might have to pay a tariff and Olga is obviously not in the position to do that.  I tried my best to explain that to her in hopes that she would understand.  After a few minutes of me explaining and re-explaining she finally said, "But Mama, it's just candy!".  Okay....she wanted Snickers!  Not sneakers!  Another good laugh was had by all.  So now I have three lip glosses and four Snickers bars ready to go out.  I did warn her the Snickers might melt, but she was okay with that!

I mentioned last week that the Parliament in Olga's country had passed the first reading of a bill that would suspend all international adoptions.  While we have heard nothing concrete about a second vote happening there are rumors flying wild on others' adoption blogs.  Quite honestly I have no desire to deal with rumors and those who have posted have not backed up their information with facts.  My desire here is to let you know that there is something very real you can do to help.  I am asking that you write your congressman and senators using the letter below or something similar to it.  I am also posting links for you to use to get your congressman/senators e-mail addresses.  All of the below information I have stolen borrowed from a different blog!

House of Representatives

Senate

Dear (name),

On November 2, 2010, the Ukrainian parliament voted to proceed with voting on legislation that would halt all international adoptions until inter-country adoption agreements are in place (see the State Dept. announcement at http://adoption.state.gov/news/ukraine.html) . At this point, all that is needed for this to become law is one more vote in Ukrainian parliament and a signature by the Ukrainian president. This could happen any day.


If it does, many families and innocent children will be greatly affected. Many of these families are adopting older children who have a very short time-frame before no longer being eligible for adoption.  American families adopting these children in the NEXT MONTHS offer them what may be their only opportunity at a normal and productive life free of crime, prostitution, or institutionalization due to illnesses that are treatable in the United States. I personally know one of these families.

I am writing to you to URGE you to act quickly on this matter by completing two actions. First, contact your Ukrainian counterparts and request a consideration of revision of the law to allow adoptions to proceed while the agreement is being drafted (as was done in Russia).  Secondly, work with your colleagues in congress to begin drafting this agreement so that it is ready to go in the event the law passes.

Thank you for your timely consideration of this urgent matter!


And, as always, please continue to keep our family in your prayers!


Thanks,
S~

4 comments:

  1. HAHA! That is a great story! Sneakers!
    Like you, Im done with rumors, and all I have left in me is prayers... I have written to anyone and everyone I possibly can (except Hillary Clinton because I cannot seem to find a contact address for her...) and now I suppose its in God's hands...
    So glad you got to talk to your girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...I was so relieved that she didn't want sneakers!

    Regarding the rumors, I was finding myself putting too much energy into researching them to find out if they held water or not. Not a good use of my time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet! I hope things go smoothly for you! If it makes you feel any better, our child is not even legally available for adoption yet although he has been in the care of the state for a while. THey are doing their best to help us but it seems as if things take SO LONG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have checked my blog comments before sending you a FB message, Shannon! Sorry to hear about the delay. We were so worried a/b that with Olga, but she was in the clear. I hope your child comes off the registry very soon!

    ReplyDelete