Sunday, July 10, 2011

We are still alive...

Summer has absolutely flown by so far.  The kids go back to school on August 1, so they only have three weeks of vacation left!

So far we have:

  • had Alex and my son's dance recital
  • my 6 year old turned 7
  • my 15 year old turned 16 (and it was also our one year anniversary of meeting Alex for the first time)
  • we took a road trip to Colorado
  • Alex met her great-grandmother who lives in Missouri for the first time
  • Alex also met her wonderful Aunt Nicole and amazing cousins, Tess & Audrey in Colorado
  • we went to a beautiful wedding in Vail, (Aunt Nicole got married so Alex also got to meet her new Uncle Mark, too!) spent a few days in Steamboat Springs and Fort Collins and drove all the way back to Georgia
  • all three kids were in camp for a week with Alex being a junior counselor and the two younger ones being campers
  • now we are in Florida visiting Grammy!  
Yeesh!  I have no idea why summer has flown by!  :)  And when we get back to Georgia, Alex will spend a day with the youth group at church working on a community project, then the following week she will be a junior counselor at camp again!

Alex is currently reading the driver's manual so she can take a test to earn her learner's permit.  It isn't easy reading and it has a lot of terms she has never heard before so it is taking some time.  (Fine by me!)  My hope is that this will be a good motivator for her to try very hard in school.  She is a smart girl and wants to do well, but she is also *very* stubborn and refuses to admit when she doesn't understand something.  That isn't going to be a good trait to have entering high school.

It's been a crazy, busy, but fun summer.  I'm not quite ready for school to start, but it really isn't up to me!  It's okay, though.  I love our county's calendar because even though they go back so early, they get extra breaks throughout the school year.  I love that!  Alex doesn't love it so much.  She is used to going back to school on September 1 every year.  She doesn't think getting the extra breaks is going to make up for going back so soon, but I image when that first break rolls around in September she is going to be very happy to have it!

Hopefully when school starts I can get back to blogging more regularly.  Until then I can tell you that the rest of our summer looks like this:


  • finish our trip to Florida and drive back to Georgia
  • Alex will participate in the youth group project
  • drive Alex back and forth to camp for a week
  • doctors and dentist appointments
  • back to school shopping
  • "Meet & Greet" at the schools where the kids meet their teachers for the younger ones and Alex will get her class schedule, locker assignment and hopeful meet a few teachers
I think next summer maybe we will stay home a little more often.  :)  I'm wiped out already!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment