Thursday, July 28, 2011

High School Open House

Oopsie!

I took Alex to the Open House at her new high school this morning.  She met all of her teachers and I feel very, very good about her upcoming school year.  She will only have ESOL for one period, but her remaining teachers seem to understand her challenges with English comprehension beyond casual conversation.

While I feel quite good about her first year of high school, she is less than thrilled about going.  At one point during the "tour" she asked me how many years she would be at this school.  This is a good place to remind everyone that her education at her school in Ukraine would have ended at the end of her 9th grade year.  I told her four years of high school and I thought her eyeballs were going to actually pop out of her head.  She exclaimed that she thought it was just two years.  Now, I realize we don't talk about it every day, but I *know* I have told her that students go to high school for four years before.  I think this is one of those very important instances that she acted like she understood what I was saying when in reality she was paying no attention.  I also think she knows that *most* students graduate when they are 18, which for her is in two years.

Part of me feels a little sorry for her that this news was such a shock.  Part of me is slightly (and yes, I know this is mean) amused.  I hope think that once she starts, meets new friends and realizes that high school CAN actually be fun she will not be so upset about the whole four year thing.  If not...ughhh!  I can't even go there!

She starts high school on Monday...wish us luck and say a prayer!  :)  We're gonna need it!

2 comments:

  1. You guys start school even earlier than us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our two got upset when they found out they wouldn't be going to the same school since one will be in high school and the other in middle school. They acted like we were doing that on purpose ... not understanding that the schools are physically in different locations!

    ReplyDelete