Friday, April 22, 2011

Another school week down

Today marks the end of the standardized testing (GA-CRCT's) for our county.  Alex was required to take the tests which is pretty funny considering the fact she can only read/understand an extremely limited amount of English.  This is typically a test that a student would have to "pass" in order to move on to the next grade level, but because A is in ESOL she is exempt from that requirement.  I just told her to do the best she can do and not worry about what she couldn't understand.  It will be interesting to see what her scores are, but I'm expecting them to be fairly low.

Only five school weeks remain.  I am really looking forward to summer break.  We have a trip to Colorado planned for my sister-in-law's wedding in June.  I plan to drive and make a stop in Missouri for a few days so I can introduce A to my dad's side of the family.  Then in July we will go back to FL to visit Jeff's mom.  Okay, and hit the *awesome* Siesta Key beach.  :)  And then school starts again on August 1!

Alex is enjoying being able to ride her bike up to the tennis courts to watch Jeff play or even just go for a walk by herself.  She really misses her friends a lot, but she usually gets to call one or two of them on the weekends.  She has also re-connected with her Spanish host family via Skype, which is free!  (Thank goodness!)  She seems to have a complicated relationship with them.  She summed it up by saying they are great to talk to, but not to live with.  :)

Our younger two kids have been amazing with the adjustment of having Alex home.  There have been no jealousy issues and even though they sometimes get on A's nerves (they are 9 & 6...they get on my nerves, too)  she has been a great big sister to them.  I really don't think I could be any more proud of them than I am.

 

4 comments:

  1. Love reading your updates! I am so glad that Miss A is doing so well. Any chance you can fit in some time to see us if we come down to GA this summer with S and A?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course we would love to see you! We are going to FL one week in July, but I haven't picked the dates yet. Let me know when you are thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great to hear. Now the real question... did she try to take the test or create bubble art with the scantron?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm...that's a good question! Probably scantron bubble art and she'll score above average on everything! :)

    ReplyDelete