Saturday, March 10, 2012

Life in General

I'm not sure what happened to the month of February.  I'm in a little bit of shock here that there are only three weeks of school left until Spring Break, and then only another seven weeks until school is out for summer.

Anyway...Alex continues to do well in school.  She still struggles with tests in some cases, but even when she fails one she fails it much better than she did seven months ago.  :)  At the beginning of the school year her average science test score was around 35-40%.  Now it's around 70% which is 1% shy of passing.  She has made great strides in this area and we are amazed and so proud of her progress.  Her homework, classroom work, and projects always earn very high marks and because of that her averages in ALL classes right now are ABOVE 85%!  She has her schedule for next year and is very excited to be taking French.  Ooh La La...  Because, you know, being fluent in four languages isn't quite enough.

Dance team at school ended and she plans to try out again for next years squad.  She also plans to audition for the competition dance team at her dance studio this summer.  She is doing great in her recreational dance classes and learning a lot.  She has a lot of natural talent for dance, but until this past year had been limited to mostly Ukrainian folk dancing.

Speaking of this past year...we celebrated Alex' one year anniversary of arriving HOME on March 5.  We were able to hang out with our friends who were in Ukraine with us last year while they were adopting their son.  It was really amazing to look back at this past year.

Life seems pretty normal, if there is such a thing.  :)  I am really, really, really enjoying all three of my kids right now.  It seems like with kids that there is always one who is a little out of sync, but right now all three of mine are so much fun to be around.  My soon to be ten year old son had his first soccer game this morning and his team won 7-0.  My seven year old daughter auditioned for a play last week.  It was her first audition ever and I was so proud of how well she handled herself in front of a very large audience.  She didn't get a part, but she took it in stride and said she would try again next time.  She was such a big girl about it.

I've been thinking about this blog a lot lately even though I've not been writing on it.  When I originally started it my intention was to keep a record of our adoption journey and keep people up to date at the same time.  It had been an amazing outlet throughout the entire process and I am so glad I did it.  Even after we first arrived home a year ago it seemed like there was still a lot to write about because everything was new and there were so many changes for all of us.  Now...well, as I said earlier...life seems pretty normal.  I feel a bit odd only writing about Alex.  Even she asked me why I have a blog just for her and not her brother and sister.  Not sure where I'm going with this right now, but I think I want to make some changes in what I write about.  (Pretty sure I just lost half my audience with that, if anyone is even still reading this!)

I am going to keep the blog address the same, but I am going to change the title from "Adopting Olga" to........ well, I have no idea right now!  Suggestions are welcome!  For those of you who have followed this blog all along, don't worry!  Of course I will still be writing about Alex.  I'm just going to broaden the subject scope a bit.  I'm kinda winging it here.




2 comments: