Friday, August 12, 2011

So far, so good

The kids have been in school two weeks now.  Alex is doing well in her classes.  She is having her first math quiz today so hopefully that goes well.  She has two math classes this year, but the second class is a support class for her Algebra class.  She seems to be a tiny bit behind and may need to take advantage of the lunchtime tutoring that is offered at her school.  She gave her first verbal presentation in Health class yesterday and received 100% on that.  She is also receiving 100% in American Lit., although I believe that is just a "participation" grade so far.  Even though she hasn't received an academic grade in that class yet I am still incredibly proud of her because I know she is participating in the class and not sitting in the back row trying to blend into the wall.  She really likes her Food & Nutrition class and was the only student to receive 100% on their first project.  None of her other classes have entered grades in the online system yet, so I am not sure what marks she has received.  What I do know is that she comes home happy every day and sits right down to start homework.  I know that the classes will start to get harder the further into the school year she gets, but she has really hit the ground running and I am just soooooooo proud of her!!!  I think she will do well in school this year.  Math and perhaps science might be difficult, but she *really* wants to do well and tries so hard.

She said that the school, which is only in it's second year, is starting a dance team.  She doesn't have any information on it yet, but in her mind it is a dance team that goes on competitions, similar to what she did in Ukraine.  I tried to explain to her that it was more likely a dance team that performs at half time during football and basketball games.  She doesn't understand that many schools have cheerleading squads and dance squads and that they do different things.  Hopefully she can bring home a flier with actual information on it instead of just  reporting what she's "heard".

In other news, Alex is taking two dance classes this year.  She knows that she has to keep her grades up to be able to continue taking them.  She also wants to try out for the spring soccer league as well as the dance team that I mentioned earlier.  I'm not sure she's going to be able to do it all, but I think it's very important that she has something that is just hers and that she loves.  Her girls Bible study starts in September and she is excited about that.  She has been a bike riding maniac these last few weeks and has thrown in some sprint running as well.  I really wish I could keep up with her!

Is it bad that I am already counting down the weeks until their Fall Break?  It's five more weeks in case you were wondering.  :)  

2 comments:

  1. That's great news. So many foreign adopted kids are struggling with even wanting to go to school, much less actually being in school. Hopefully she can be an encouragement to others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, I just found your blog! I think I met you in Ukraine when we were there on the interview trip. We went out to dinner in Lutugino! So nice to see the follow up and that Olga/Alex is adjusting well and happy to have found your blog.
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete