Saturday, October 23, 2010

Garage Sale and Other News

We had our garage sale yesterday and today.  While not a phenomenal success, it was not a complete bust either.  We still have all of our "large ticket" items which we shoved carefully placed back into the garage where they shall wait until we try again next weekend.  I really miss parking in the garage.  :(  I will admit that without the very generous donations from our family and friends the garage sale would have been a complete bust!  And a very special thank you to my sister, Deby, and my mom, Joyce, for not only their donations but also their help with the selling on Friday!

The first two customers of the day walked up yesterday morning to purchase two adult bicycles.  They agreed to $35 per bike and said they would come back the next morning (today) to pay and pick up the bikes.  Jeff agreed and put the bikes in the garage for safe keeping.  During all of this Jeff mentioned to the couple that we were trying to raise a little extra money for an international adoption.  He told them a little bit of our story while they shopped. When they came back today to pay for the bikes Jeff was inside so they struck up a conversation with me about the adoption.  They were so interested that I ran inside to grab the family portrait that we had taken with Olga this summer.  They asked many questions and then told us that they wanted to give a little extra for the bikes because they were really touched by our story.  They handed me $100 and wished us the best of luck!  How's that for a feel-good story?  

I guess there isn't too much else going on right now.  Oh, wait a minute...what's that?  Our FBI fingerprint clearances have finally come back?!  We can finally submit our I600A to the USCIS?  Pardon me while I go do a cartwheel.  (Funny...those were a lot easier to do 25 years ago!)  Thank you so much to all of you who kept us in your thoughts and prayers that the FBI finish with our clearances quickly!  It was only four days ago that I asked for that specific prayer, so I know we must have a lot of prayer warriors out there.  I am hoping to get our I600A into the mail for overnight delivery to the USCIS on Monday.  We just have to have our case worker for the home study add the FBI results and we need our adoption agent to look over our paperwork before it goes into the mail.  The USCIS process can take a long time also, but I plan to call my local congressman to ask for help.  If he agrees to help then we should be able to get through that process in about four to five weeks.  If that actually happens then we just might get our dossier off to the SDA by the beginning of December which *should* get us our SDA appointment sometime in January!  I know I really shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but it's so exciting when you can start to see things actually take shape.

It is hard to believe, but in just three months we should be traveling!  We have lots to do before then and as always, I have ways you can help if you are so inclined!


  1. Prayers!  Specifically that we get our I600A in the mail Monday, October 25 and that our congressman can help get the process with the USCIS expedited.
  2. Re-post my blog to your Facebook page!  I know that when people re-post this blog it gets a lot more traffic which means more people following our journey.
  3. Christmas Tree Fundraiser!  Follow the link below to order a tree or wreath to be delivered right to your front door with FREE shipping!  After clicking the link, select "yes" for New Horizons for Children and then select my name, Susan Langvin Pirkey, as the participant you would like to help:   Dutchman Tree Farms Fundraiser
  4. Donate! You can use the yellow "donate" button just to the upper right corner of this blog post!
  5. I will be having a fundraising Gold Party on November 12.  If you are local and would like to attend just let me know!  I will be getting e-vites out soon, but if I miss you please don't think you aren't invited!
If you have specific questions about this process and need to contact me directly, please e-mail me at: SusanPirkey@gmail.com

Thanks,
S~

No comments:

Post a Comment